Thursday, April 14, 2011

Comfort Cookies


Bad news should always be accompanied by home-baked cookies.  Always.  Write that down.  While I make no boasts about my cooking skills, my cookies are generally well-received.  And somehow, shortbread cookies always come out on top.  They require the baking skills of a six-year-old but magically come out looking uniform, shimmering in sugar, and flawlessly flaky.  Really, four ingredients never looked so good.
I generally start with this recipe, and omit the crazy upgraded skills like melting chocolate or half-dipping.  Start with a good butter and a good vanilla, and you're halfway done.  I also don't have fancy things like cookie-cutters.  I find a rolled sheet of dough and a knife work just as well (I'm sure they taste the same, too).  And, if you ever think it's too early in the day to start taste-testing your masterpieces...just know, they are great dipped in black coffee.  






No comments: