Thursday, August 11, 2011

Happy 100th


So, this is my hundredth blog post.  Yay!  I felt I should celebrate.  With cake.  Is there any other way?  Ready for the twist...


This was the filling.  Yeah...it tasted good.  Thanks for asking.  Full tutorial after the jump.





Step One: grab 2.5 cups of raw, unsalted cashews and soak in water overnight (this will soften them and ensure they blend smoothly).  Don't skip this step.


 The next morning...

Crust:

1/2 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup (or just under) flaked coconut


I used a 6-inch springform pan, so that my cake would look taller.  You can certainly adjust your proportions if you use an 8-inch or larger.


Shove all your crust ingredients in a blender and pulse until they hit breadcrumb consistency.  You want to be able to press this between your fingers and have it keep its shape.


Then, press to the bottom of your pan, keeping it just on the bottom, not going up the sides.


Filling:
2 1/2 cups cashews (soaked overnight)
1/2 cup coconut oil (melted to oil consistency by sitting jar in a warm bath)
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Shove all in a blender.  This may take a little finesse.  You need to blend, re-blend, stir, re-blend, repeat.  This filling needs to be super creamy and not chunky at all to feel like cheesecake.  Take your time with this step, the results are worth it.


Spoon the entire filling amount into the springform.


There's no magic secret.  Just pile it on evenly.


Dang, it even looked like cheesecake.  Cover and freeze overnight.  When ready to serve, remove the outer ring and let thaw for 15-20 minutes at room temperature.


Oh my gosh, it was heaven.  A fruit topping would have been a welcome compliment, in case you're curious.  The consistency was creamy, dreamy, and really rich.


Thanks, again to everyone who's followed my blog, added to my thoughts, and supported my lil' journey.  Now, have some cake!

26 comments:

Sherry said...

This looks wonderful! Have you found a place to get a stainless steal springform pan?

SL said...

Sherry, if you're in Los Angeles, Surfas is a great kitchen store. I know they ship as well. I found the 6-inch pan there, but they have a variety of sizes to meet residential and restaurant needs.
Happy "baking".

Tracey said...

This looks like a must-try. I have a question though, is the coconut in the crust needed for consistency? Our family is not a fan. We are good using the coconut oil, just not the flaked stuff. Thanks!

SL said...

Hi, Tracey.
If you're familiar with LaraBars, it sort of ends up having that sticky consistency. The coconut isn't required, but you may want to find another substitute to help bind. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I really want to try this recipe, do you think maybe chopped raisins might work without flavoring it too much?

Lemon Meringue Pie - Paleo Dessert said...

Yum!!! :)

Thanks a lot for sharing and also for the fantastic step-by-step tutorial - can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great recipe. Do you think I could use liquid stevia in place of Agave?

SL said...

Hi there! I would think it would be okay. Just remember that liquid stevia is more runny and much sweeter than agave. So, be sure to start slow and taste as you go! Let me know how it turns out.

Cook Eat Paleo said...

This looks wonderful - can't wait to try it. I've been looking for a paleo cheesecake recipe. So glad to have found your site!

SL said...

That's great! Happy you're here.

Anonymous said...

Do you also use the water you soaked the cashews in, or do you strain them?

Martha said...

Hello!

Can you tell me 1 cup = ? ml? 250?

Thank You so much!

Martha

SL said...

Hi, there.
@ Anonymous - I do not use the water, I strain the cashews. Good luck!
@Martha - I believe the exact translation is 236ml...I hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

I would think that maple syrup could be used in place of the agave as well... or perhaps honey.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I am allergic to cashews, and wondered if almonds or pecans would be a good substitute. Would it?

Anonymous said...

I thought cashews were NOT part of the paleo diet.

Anonymous said...

"Except for peanuts, we recommend all nuts and seeds as healthful components of the Paleo Diet for Athletes"
-The Paleo diet for athletes p204

Anonymous said...

Tons of calories in this...beware. I did a nutrient analysis on this recipe. Assuming you sliced this cheesecake into 10 pieces....

In one piece
421 calories
14g of saturated fat

Regular cheesecake (not paleo)
411 calories
13g saturated fat

Despite common beliefs, coconut oil has a high amount of saturated fat. Cashews and pecans have fat, a little better fats than coconut oil, but never the less fats.

The American Heart Association recommends for a sedentary female consuming a 2,000calorie/day diet is to eat no more that 15g of saturated fat. So unless you are planning on eating strictly vegetables for the rest of the day I would not recommend this. Especially for weight loss.

Many Paleo recipes compensate for flavor and texture by adding fats from plant based products. This is fine, but in huge quantities like this can be misleading to the public. (Compare it to regular cheesecake, it is almost the same in calories/fat).

Also if you are on the Paleo diet be sure to take a calcium and vitamin D supplement (this diet lacks). Be sure to get plenty of exercise as well to make up for the calorically dense foods being eaten.

Neelambaram said...

Love yourblog , I'm your newest follower. You can vist my blog when you have time.
http://kitchenista-welcometomykitchen.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

@Anonymous

I think you may have misunderstood the point of the diet by comparing this cheesecake to a usual store bought one. I would much rather eat this one as the ingredients are natural, rather than eating a heap of refined sugar, additives and preservatives.

I'm also sure the cook wasn't encouraging eating this everyday, but every now and again when you have a cheesecake craving. This recipe would be a lot better for you than a shop bought one!! And if it's on the odd occasion I can't see the problem with it.

Arifah Wright said...

I am so going to try this! Looks divine!

Anonymous said...

Some people just have to be negative nelly's. This sounds like a great alternative for anyone who would like a sweet treat without all the highly processed bad for you ingredients used to make a traditional cheesecake. Bravo to you, I will definitely be trying this!

Anonymous said...

Best cheesecake I have ever eaten!

I made it twice now and ate 1/2 in one sitting. The difference between this and the bad fat, high calorie, sugar poisonous one is that this is ALL natural and much better for you, so don't do a calorie comparison, because these calories are not the same. Cashews are also high in protein!

Please keep these amazing natural raw recipes coming!

Thank you for this little piece of Heaven! 😻

dominika said...

The best cheesecake I've ever had. Delicious. Next time I would do it with just 1/3 cup of maple sirup as it was too sweet for us but despite this... Unforgettable issue.

Unknown said...

This looks great. can the lemon juice be left out or substituted with anything? I have a citrus intolerance. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

This looks awesome but why can't I pin it? 😞