Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bank on It



My girlfriend, Jess is amazing at saving money.  When she sets her mind to save towards a specific goal, she follows her plan so diligently.  Her entryway is sprinkled with brightly decorated boxes that she labels for her wedding fund, her vacation fund, and any other goal she's working towards.
I, on the other hand, do not do this.  After putting myself through school, coupled with living in a very expensive city, my personal debt is poising itself for a swift mutiny of my finances.  Hey!  Not so fast!
I have taken a lil' lesson from Jess...while I may not be able to save as aggressively, I have found that the physical act of shoving dollar bills and change into a piggy bank is rewarding enough to keep doing it.  Online banking may have lost me for a few months. 



However, I think it's a little ridiculous to spend money on a coin bank.  Like people who buy new, coordinated outfits to inspire themselves to (finally!) hit the gym.  It's lame.



So, I rummaged through my cabinets to find a way to spruce up some containers I currently have.  Juice jars, applesauce and jelly be damned!  A little flat-white primer and old holiday gift tags...voila!  They almost look like ceramics at this point.  And if I actually get to the purchasing of these un-necessities, I can always use them as vases.

No comments: