Thursday, July 7, 2011

Walk This Way: Part IV (Thyme & Thyme, Again)


While gluten-free and dairy-free may limit both my dessert choices and my baking choices, I refuse to think that my adult-like beverages will suffer.  So, after a pile of cocktail books and endless searching, I think I discovered a new favorite - and well within the paleo diet.


Tequila Thyme Lemonade.  Brilliant.  I started with one cocktail, to test the drink.  

Grab:
2 lemon wedges
2 oz silver tequila
1-2 oz cold water
3 thyme sprigs
Agave nectar
Ice


Pop the thyme, lemon wedges and agave in a glass and muddle together.  For me, about 1/2 tsp of agave nectar was refreshing without being sugary.
This ended up being so tasty, that a pitcher was required to accompany my dinner with friends.


 You didn't think I'd forget about the exercise bit, did you?  What were those beautiful new weight-lifting kicks for, then?  Yeah.  Wait for tomorrow...it's gonna be good.
But, check out my recipe for Fig & Thyme Stuffed Chicken (after the jump).





I finally figured out what to do with that basket of mission figs from the farmers' market.  After taking some cooking advice from Liz (co-founder and coach at this gym), I mustered up the courage to cook a whole chicken for the first time ever.


Needed:
1 lb mission figs (diced)
1 large white onion, finely diced
1/2 cup pine nuts (lightly roasted)
2-3 Tb fresh thyme leaves
sea salt and pepper to taste


Combine all in a bowl.  Stuff a clean chicken with entire amount (that also means cavity cleaned and empty).


For me, the 4-hour setting on my crock pot was perfect.  While not beautiful to photograph, so tasty and unexpected.  I even threw a couple lemon wedges in the pot to steam some extra flavor.  Hope you feel inspired to experiment, too.

No comments: