Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Walk This Way: Part II (Apricots, Bacon & Sage)


So, let me start by saying; this is going to sound scary and overwhelming at first.  I am not stating to be an expert, or suggest that this is the only method of staying healthy and happy.  But it has worked for me, and I am a huge advocate.  If you'd like to stick with me for four more days, I'd be happy to have you.
I have read this book cover-to-cover twice.  I can suggest you pick up The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf, but even an internet search on the subject could reap huge benefits.


So, I sat down again with this book this past weekend (after eating and drinking plenty at dinners, lunches and celebrations).  And I was ready to revert back to eating cleaner after those decisions.  So, while I walk you through the lil' bit of my diet, I thought I would share a recipe to soften the blow: photos and tutorial after the jump...



Apricots with Bacon & Sage


The idea behind this diet (and I mean the word in terms of lifestyle change, not fly-by-night, weight-loss) is to keep your sugar levels balanced throughout the day.  Gluten and dairy are taken out of the diet, as there is evidence that this can cause and increase the frequency of auto-immune diseases and their coinciding outbreaks (think epilepsy, seizures, narcolepsy, etc.).


(photo: take your bacon, cut into thirds, and wrap your dried apricots with sage leaf)
Having family members and friends with auto-immune diseases, I have first-hand knowledge of the constant reminders and daily choices that have to be made when living with these issues.


(photo: bake with seam-side down at 350 for 6-8 minutes, or desired crispiness)
While this may not ensure I never have to deal with these problems, I have found this to be a fairly easy diet to adopt.  This is not to say that beer, cookies or other gluten will never enter my system again - but it will be a conscious choice in those moments, versus a daily intake.


If you're still with me - awesome!  Check back tomorrow or message me with questions.  I'm no expert, but I know a few who are always willing to share their knowledge.

No comments: