Monday, July 11, 2011

Blame it on My Momma


Seriously, it's all my mom's fault.  I grew up eating brussel sprouts.  Yeah.  I was an actual human child, and I liked brussel sprouts.  So, after the weekend farmer's market trip...it was time to put them to good use.


And I'm not talking boiled and on a plate.  While this may be a side dish, it is definitely on it's way to the main stage.  (recipe and photos after the jump)





Grab:
1 pound brussel sprouts, cleaned and halved
1/2 red onion, finely diced
3-4 slices bacon, chopped
2 Tb olive oil
2 Tb balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste


Once your chopping is done, pop the bacon in the olive oil to start browning.  You want the bacon fat in the sauce, so once this starts rendering, throw in the onions.  For me, medium to high heat was fine.


Pile of bacon...what could be better.  And for dinner!


I simply soaked my brussel sprouts in a cleaning wash and then rinsed them.  They're kinda like baby cabbages, so I wanted them clean, but obviously couldn't really scrub them.


After the onions start to carmelize, turn the heat up just a bit and throw in the brussel sprouts.  I'm only looking to braise them at this point.  After about 3-4 minutes, throw in the balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper.  Toss one last time, and plate.  So so so yummy.

No comments: